INUIT VILLAGE LIFE
Do you want to live an authentic Greenlandic experience? An alternative to our Oqaatsut kayak day is the Inuit Village Life. This is your chance to get closer to the people of the small settlement of Oqaatsut and understand some of the daily activities.
The day starts sailing towards Oqaatsut, a small Inuit village where 37 people live all year round. In Greenland, unlike most of the places of the world, the boat is the main mean of transport. Actually there are no two villages connected by road in our country.
Once in the settlement, we go on a small walk and tell you about the everyday life of its inhabitants. We then do some local activities, traditional from the village with the assistance of its inhabitants. The activity we do is subject to the season and the activities that local people do, such as learning how to cook and smoke fish, how to cut and dry it for storage, collecting wild plants and flowers to make tea, feed the sled dogs with their musher, repair a fishing net, build a sled, etc. Our local English speaking guide will translate so you understand and learn about the Greenlandic reality.
The day in the settlement will finish with a visit to a local family and a traditional lunch made with local ingredients. After a lovely meal, we sail back to Ilulissat.
- Season: Summer (01/06/2018 - 15/09/2018)
- Duration: 7 hours
- Time of Departure: 9:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 10
- Level of difficulty: 1/5 (Easy)
- Minimum age: 12 years old. Minors must always be accompanied by one adult.
- Price per person: 1995 kr.
Inuit village life
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity.