ARCTIC RIDE (Snowmobile day)
The snowmobile has become a very frequent mean of transport in Arctic countries, because it adapts to a wide variety of terrains and allows quick access to the remotest places.
The backcountry of Ilulissat offers great landscapes to be discovered, and we give you all the ingredients to make that possible. Our local guides and modern snowmobiles are a great way to explore snowy valleys and mountains, frozen lakes, fjords and the sea ice.
The route we choose will always depend on snow and ice conditions. Our main route is visiting the authentic settlement of Oqaatsut, 20 km north from Ilulissat where 37 Inuits live all year round. There we go on a small walk around the village, visit a local family and listen to stories about the settlement, its people and their way of life.
If conditions do not allow to go to Oqaatsut, we offer you an alternative with unbeatable scenery. We go up the mountains, see dogsleds doing their route to ice-fish in the icefjord, and reach a series of viewpoints of Ilulissat, Disko Bay and the Ice Cap. In our favourite spot we have a nice break with hot drinks and biscuits.
* No previous experience is required. We provide all the equipment and our experienced guide will teach you how to drive the snowmobile. Please note that due to unpredictable weather and snow conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority.
- Season: Winter (06/02/2018 – 22/04/2018)
- Duration: 3 hours
- Time of Departure: 9:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 7
- Level of difficulty: 2/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: 1595 kr.
Arctic ride (Snowmobile day)
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).