ARCTIC RIDE (Snowmobile day)
The snowmobile has become a very frequent mean of transport in Arctic countries, because it adapts to a wide variety of terrains and allows quick access to the remotest places.
The backcountry of Ilulissat offers great landscapes to be discovered, and we give you all the ingredients to make that possible. Our local guides and modern snowmobiles are a great way to explore snowy valleys and mountains, frozen lakes, fjords and the sea ice.
Our guide will choose the route depending on snow, ice and weather conditions. One choice will be visiting the authentic settlement of Oqaatsut 20 km north from Ilulissat where 37 Inuit live all year round.
The other choice is a route that has an unbeatable scenery. We will go up the mountains, see dogsleds doing their route to ice-fish in the Icefiord, and reach a series of viewpoints of Ilulissat, Disko Bay and the Ice Cap.
In both routes we will stop to have some hot drinks and biscuits.
No previous experience is required. We provide all the equipment and our experienced guide will teach how to drive the snowmobile.
* No previous experience is required. We provide all the equipment and our experienced guide will teach you how to drive the snowmobile. Please note that due to unpredictable weather and snow conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority.
- Season: Winter (01/02/2019 - 30/04/2019)
- Duration: 3-3.5 hours*
- Time of Departure: 9:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office (Kussangajaannguaq 8), Ilulissat 15 minutes before the start of the activity.
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 6
- Level of difficulty: 3/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult and cannot drive)
- Price per person: 1495 kr.
- Note that all participants driving must have a valid driving license, either for car or motorcycle.
Arctic ride (Snowmobile day)
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.(Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).