DOGSLEDDING DAY (5h)
In this unforgettable journey, we travel with you to the roots of the Inuit lifestyle.
For us it is important that you, as a visitor to Ilulissat, get involved with its people and take time to immerse yourself in the local culture through activities such as dogsledding. It is not only about the ride, but also about learning about the art of dogsledding. Our guide speaks fluent English and will explain and show you which are the steps to follow before starting a dogsled journey: how dogsleds are built, how to maintain and fix them, how to use the whip (a good use of the whip never touches the dogs), how to take care of the dogs, how to feed them and how to educate them.
Once you have experienced and learned about the preparation, everything is ready to start our journey. Dogsledding is probably the most authentic way to explore the snowy valleys, mountains, frozen lakes, fjords and the sea ice around Ilulissat.
The route we choose will always depend on snow and ice conditions. Our main choice is visiting the authentic settlement of Oqaatsut, 20 km north from Ilulissat where 37 Inuit live all year round. Once there, we will have a small walk around the settlement, share a hot drink and biscuits with a local family and hear stories about the settlement, its people and their way of life.
If conditions do not allow to go to Oqaatsut, we offer you a route that has an unbeatable scenery. We go up the mountains and encounter other dogsled as we follow a part of the route to the ice-fishing spots in the Icefjord, finally reaching a series of viewpoints of Ilulissat, Disko Bay and the Ice Cap. In one of these spots we have a break for hot drinks and biscuits.
- Season: Winter (06/02/2018 – 22/04/2018)
- Duration: 5 hours
- Time of Departure: 10:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 1
- Maximum number of clients: 2
- Level of difficulty: 3/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: from 1995 kr.
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).