DOGSLEDDING EXPEDITION (2 days)
This two-day trip is an immersion to Greenland from the hand of our guides: Greenlandic mushers who make a living as hunters and fishermen.
From our office, you will dress up for the cold environment, and meet your English speaking mushers. They will introduce you to the culture of dogsledding and give you instructions for your safety and enjoyment.
The dogsled journey starts from Ilulissat and we travel to the fjord Sikuiuitsoq, where we will stay for the night, at the hunters cabin with other mushers. On the second half of the day, we cross the fjord and access to the Ice Cap. After touching the ice mass that covers 80% of Greenland, we ride back to our camp, cook, eat and sleep.
Next morning we wake up early and travel over the sea ice until the fishing spots. This is the best time to see the fishermen taking out the fishing lines with halibut: a delicious fish that lives in the deep sea under the thick cover ice. Ice fishing is a unique part of the Inuit lifestyle, and you will experience it first-hand. Even more, in our trips there will always be at least one guide that speaks fluent English. Therefore you will get the most of this trip, learn and understand the reality of the dogsled, fishing and hunting in Greenland. After this special and unique experience, you head back to Ilulissat, crossing back the mountains, valleys and frozen lakes that brought us here.
- Season: Winter (06/02/2018 – 22/04/2018)
- Duration: 2 days
- Time of Departure: 9:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 1
- Maximum number of clients: 2
- Level of difficulty: 4/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: 5950 kr.
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).