DOGSLEDDING FIRST STEPS (2h Dogsledding)
In this unforgettable journey, we travel with you to the roots of the Inuit lifestyle. Dogsledding has been, and still is, an essential tool for winter, travelling in Arctic regions. For us it is important that you, as a visitor to Ilulissat, get involved with its people and take time to immerse yourself in the local culture through activities such as dogsledding. It is not only about the ride, but also about learning about the art of dogsledding. Our guide speaks fluent English and will explain and show you which are the steps to follow before starting a dogsled journey: how dogsleds are built, how to maintain and fix them, how to use the whip (a good use of the whip never touches the dogs), how to take care of the dogs, how to feed them and how to educate them.
Once you have experienced and learned about the preparation, everything is ready to start our journey. The backcountry of Ilulissat offers great landscapes to be discovered, and we give you all the ingredients to make that possible. Dogsledding is probably the most authentic way to explore the snowy valleys, mountains, frozen lakes, fjords and the sea ice around Ilulissat.
The route we choose will always depend on snow and ice conditions.
- Season: Winter (06/02/2018 – 22/04/2018)
- Duration: 2 hours
- Time of Departure: 10:00 or 15:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 1
- Maximum number of clients: 2
- Level of difficulty: 2/5 (Moderate)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: from 1350 kr.
Dogsledding First Steps
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper layer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).