Icefjord Hike (Snowshoes)
The Ilulissat Icefiord, a UNESCO world heritage site, is as beautiful as inaccessible in the middle of the Arctic winter. This unique natural phenomenon pushes out 20 million tons of ice every day, in form of gigantic icebergs that can rise up to 100 meters above the sea level. Take this unique opportunity and join our guided hike with snowshoes to explore remote spots with unbeatable scenery.
Using snowshoes and ski poles is a comfortable way to hike in winter conditions. Plus, the knowledge and experience of our local guides will help you to make the best of this trip. Choosing the best viewpoints for sightseeing and pictures, managing the route according the weather conditions, relevant information about the flora and the fauna, and many stories about the present and the past of Greenland and its inhabitants.
As we put our feet in a UNESCO World Heritage Site, we will ascend between walls covered with snow and ice, enjoy the magnified panorama of the “dogs sledge highway”, see frozen lakes and rivers and icebergs shining under the beautiful golden winter light.
To recover energies, we will take a break to eat our meal, sandwich and hot soup make locally with local ingredients. We will continue hiking until the old settlement of Sermermiut, where the first Inuit people arrived 4000 years ago, 10 minutes away from Ilulissat.
*No previous experience is required, but it is strongly recommended a minimum level of fitness. Anyone used to hike or other sports can learn how to move in winter terrain with snowshoes and ski poles.
Note: please not that due to unpredictable weather conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority.
- Season: Winter (01/03/2019 - 30/04/2019)
- Duration: 5 hours*
- Time of Departure: 10:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office(Kussangajaannguaq 8), Ilulissat 15 minutes before the start of the activity.
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 8
- Level of difficulty: 3/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: 995 kr.
*The duration of our activities includes the time to gear-up / dress-up, safety briefings and transfers to departure points.
Icefjord Hike (Snowshoes)
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper layer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).