Icefjord Hike (Snowshoes)
The Ilulissat IcefJord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is as beautiful as inaccessible in the middle of the Arctic winter. This unique natural phenomenon pushes out 20 million tons of ice every day, in form of gigantic icebergs that can rise 100 meters above the sea level. Take this unique opportunity and join our guided hike with snowshoes to explore remote spots with remarkable scenery.
Using snowshoes and ski poles is a comfortable way to hike in winter conditions. The knowledge and experience of our local guides will help you to make the most of this experience. Choosing the best viewpoints for sightseeing and pictures, managing the route according to the weather conditions, relevant information about the flora and fauna and many stories about the present and the past of Greenland and its inhabitants.
As we step on a UNESCO World Heritage Site, we will ascend between walls covered with snow and ice, enjoy the magnificent panorama of the “dogs sledge highway”, see frozen lakes, rivers and icebergs shining under the beautiful golden winter light.
To recover our energy, we take a break to eat our meal, sandwich and home made hot soup cooked with local ingredients. We then hike to the old settlement of Sermermiut, where the first Inuit people arrived 4000 years ago, 10 minutes away from Ilulissat.
*No previous experience is required, but it is strongly recommended a minimum level of fitness. Anyone used to hike or other sports can learn how to move in winter terrain with snowshoes and ski poles.
Note: please not that due to unpredictable weather conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority.
- Season: Winter (06/02/2018 – 22/04/2018)
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Time of Departure: 10:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office, Ilulissat
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 8
- Level of difficulty: 3/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 15 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult)
- Price per person: 995 kr.
Icefjord Hike (Snowshoes)
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).