NORTHERN LIGHT RIDE
Winter nights dress the landscape of Ilulissat, sometimes dotted-with-stars black, sometimes full-moon white and sometimes Northern-Lights green. No matter the color, it is a landscape that will awake all your senses.
The snowmobile has become a very frequent mean of transport in Arctic countries, because it adapts to a wide variety of terrains and allows quick access to the remotest places. We will ride these vehicles in the arctic night and enjoy breathtaking views after going up the hills that dominate the Ilulissat skyline. From there, no sound or light polution so we can fully experience the winter nights.
In the middle of the wilderness, where silence is all around us, we will have hot drinks and biscuits, tell Inuit stories and talk about the nature and lifestyle of Greenland. And if Sila allows us, we will witness the spectacular phenomenon of the Northern Lights from our scenic viewpoint.
*No previous experience is required. We provide all the equipment and our experienced guide will teach how to drive the snowmobile.
Note: Please note that due to unpredictable weather and conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority.
- Season: Winter (10/02/2019 - 30/04/2019)
- Duration: 2-2.5 hours*
- Time of Departure: Depending on season: February at 18:00, March at 20:00 and April at 21:00.
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office (Kussangajaannguaq 8), Ilulissat, 15 minutes before the start of the activity.
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 6
- Level of difficulty: 3/5 (Challenging)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult and cannot drive)
- Price per person: 1195 kr
- Note that all participants driving must have a valid driving license, either for car or motorcycle.
*The duration of our activities includes the time to gear-up/ dress-up, safety briefings and transfers to departure points.
NOTE that from mid-April, the daylight is longer, so our tours will be during the sunset and not when the night is dark.
Northern night ride
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper layer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items. (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).