WINTER ADVENTURE (Snowmobiling and Snowshoeing day)
Our day will start at PGI Greenland’s office, where we will gear up and have a safety briefing. When we are all set, we will start our way to a small hunter’s hut by snowmobile. The route takes around an hour and a half, where we will follow the dogs sled way. This same way is used by fishermen from Ilulissat to go fishing to the frozen fjord of Sikuiuitsoq (in Greenlandic: place that always has ice). Along the way we will stop in some viewpoints to see impressive panoramic views of the Ilulissat Icefiord and the ice cap.
In the hunter´s hut we will leave the snowmobiles, put our snowshoes on and continue walking inside the UNESCO area (where snowmobiles are not allowed). It is time to start our adventure over the frozen sea and the small mountain next to the hut. The guide will choose the best itinerary according the beauty, safety and physical condition of the group. This snow shoe hike will take around 1 hour.
After the hike we will stop for having our lunch. Then we will ride our snowmobiles back to Ilulissat, following the same way we came.
- Season: Winter (01/02/2018 - 25/04/2018)
- Duration: 5 hours
- Time of Departure: 10:00
- Meeting point: PGI Greenland office (Kussangajaannguaq 8), Ilulissat 15 minutes before the start of the activity.
- Minimum number of clients: 2
- Maximum number of clients: 6
- Level of difficulty: 4/5 (Demanding)
- Minimum age: 16 (minors should always be accompanied by one adult and cannot drive)
- Price per person: 1995 kr.
- Note that all participants driving must have a valid driving license, either for car or motorcycle.
*The duration of our activities includes the time to gear-up/ dress-up, safety briefings and transfers to departure points.
WHAT TO BRING AND OTHER TIPS
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- (Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity).